Population 41 353
Skawina is located 15 km south-west from the centre of Kraków. To a certain extent, the area constitutes a specific enclave, since the functionality of its location goes hand in hand with the beauty of the landscape. In the south, Skawina is supported by the Wieliczka Foothills, whereas in the north, it reaches the forest-covered lime rock of the Tyniec hills, which surmount the Kraków-Częstochowa Jura. In the west, the plain of the Oświęcim Valley opens up along the Vistula River.
Skawina's history is closely linked to King Casimir the Great, who in 1364 granted the town its civic rights, as well as bestowed generous means to enable Skawina to erect town walls, a fairly spacious castle, a church and a school. In the 15th century, various crafts developed in Skawina. Skawina's development was possible also thanks to the town's right to organize fairs and a weekly market.
Skawina's splendour finished in the middle of the 17th century and a new intensive development of the town took place at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Among sites worth visiting in the Commune of Skawina are: St Simon's and St Jude Thaddeus' parish church founded in 1364 by King Casimir the Great; the filial church of the Offertory of the Virgin Mary probably from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries with a painting "Crucifixion" from 1640; the "Sokół" Palace which replaced the fortified castle; the Main Square which has been included in the national monument register; the Town Hall from the beginning of the 20th century; Church in Wola Radziszowska - one of the most valuable monuments in Kraków region; Church in Krzęcin erected around 1589; Church in Radziszów with Baroque interior; a Renaissance mansion in Korabniki, which was visited by Wyspiański; a Classical-style mansion in Ochodza with a landscape park; a mansion in Polanka Hallera with a park; a mansion in Jurczyce which belonged to the Haller family; the Scouts Remembrance Chamber in Skawina whose gathered objects are closely connected with history and fights of the Polish soldiers in exile during the World War Two; Exhibition Room of the Haller family in Jurczyce which houses a display of mementos connected with life and activity of the most famous members of the Haller family as well as the Blue Army soldiers, i.e. Haller's men - hallerczycy.
since 1996 Hürth (Germany)
Skawińskie Stowarzyszenie Partnerstwa Miast, Chairman, Ms Elżbieta Baran, supports local self-government in maintaining and intensification of the contacts with the twin towns.
|E-mail us logowanie|
Copyright © 2005 SSPM. All Rights Reserved
Wykonanie strony Website